Fernbank Science Center opened, offering up its outdoor gardens and indoor facilities as giant interactive textbooks for school children and the public alike. And to educate as many as possible, the center keeps general admission to its regular exhibits totally free.
- Eye Catchers: the stars that come into view through the Dr. Ralph L. Buice, Jr. Observatory’s Cassegrain reflector, the largest telescope in the southeastern US
- Crown Jewel: the Jim Cherry Memorial Planetarium, which explores the mysteries of the universe—from lunar phases to color—in a 70-foot dome
- Permanent Mainstays: the poison-dart frogs and snakes that live together and fight over who does the dishes in the Live Animals exhibit
- Don’t Miss: the unmanned command module from Apollo 6
- Special Programs: student-focused STEM classes and camps, such as an aviation camp and a toothpick bridge-building contest